Toyota Celica Liftback 1600 ST. Pure speed for Popke van der Hoek
The Toyota Celica Liftback 1600 ST is a striking appearance. It is slim, has elegant lines and radiates pure speed. The original Dutch car from 1977 was not fast enough for Popke. He mounted a motor with more power.
By: Dirk de Jong
The Toyota Celica Liftback 1974 ST entered the Japanese market as early as 1600, followed later by its introduction in Europe. The main feature of the 'liftback' construction was the roofline hinged large tailgate. Access to the luggage compartment is therefore generous. The yellow body is in concours condition. Every ride guarantees positive reactions.
Popke is a passionate enthusiast. But with him it was not just dreaming. He gave in to the desire to own special cars. For example, there is still a Toyota Celica in the construction phase. His heart will also beat faster with the car history of, among others, Opel Mantas and various cars of American cut. His hobby garage is therefore not just any garage, but a car palace.
You can also see his predilection for certain models in his chat house near the garage, where the weekly 'oil and petrol' conversations are held with friends. He can rightly call himself champion collector. Not only are there actually hundreds of models of American cars. But there is also a unique Opel Manta and a Toyota Celica collection, all perfectly classified by model. His knowledge in this area transcends any fantasy. If you 'walk' through his collection, you will see dozens of boxes with parts, hundreds of license plates and all kinds of automotive accessories. In short: A collection with a museum value. But the most important thing for Popke van der Hoek is that his classic (hobby) collection is high on his 'joy index'. Can it be more beautiful?
Also interesting to read:
– Toyota Corolla 30 de Luxe by Kees Mieremet. Originality from 1976
– Toyota Corolla KE20 from Wim Janssens. Just like before
– The Toyota MR2, a special sports fan from Japan
– Suzuki Cappuccino, intense caffeine shot. Even more espresso
– Corona. What is in a name?
In stores now, the August issue
Auto Motor Klassiek from August is in stores now. For only 4,99 a guarantee for at least a few hours of reading pleasure.
This month a nice striking cover. The Opel Rekord that Erwin Roosink bought a few years ago in bad condition and completely restored. After which he gave his own twist to the appearance of his Rekord as a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard.
Also in this issue:
- Fiat 850 Familiare who after half a century passed to the second owner, who then promised to take good care of it for the next half century.
- Suzuki GS1000 which, in the late XNUMXs, formed a new chapter in the reliability and driving characteristics of Japanese super sports.
- De Volvo 340 GL may not be a unique type of car, but with its 58.000 kilometers on the clock, the now 33-year-old classic is in unique condition.
- In the practical article redecorate leather interior a dried-out leather interior is made beautiful again.
- De Toyota Corolla Coupé GT Twin Cam 16 has grown in popularity in the last ten years. Reason enough for us to report on it. We found a nice example.
- BMW R100 Mono. Compared to an R69S or an R90S, you have such a 'new' R100RT for change. And you drive a nice bike with it. A description.
- De Saab 96V4 van Ad van Beurden had already driven some rallies, but for him to really perform optimally, a few things had to be done. In this issue a report of the activities.
- In 75 years later again a series of photos from the old box, with which we switch back to the years of the Second World War.
All car and motorcycle stories are preceded by dozens of pages with short messages, from practical tips to history, classics that we encountered en route and various columns where having a classic, tinkering with a classic and even the hobby of dealing with classics centrally state. In addition, also around the forty pages with classics for sale, which are sometimes not even offered online. The perfect reading material, also for the coming holiday. So take it home quickly and take one already Subscriptionso you don't miss the next edition.
You can read more about what's in this edition on our page this month.