in

NOT the horse of Sinterklaas

MUSHROOMBut fungus so….


Mold is usually caused by poor ventilation and moisture. There are different fungi, white and black, sometimes you can see them clearly, sometimes you don't. There are means to kill fungi, but first check under the sink. Ammonia. bleach, baking soda, borax, household alcohol and vinegar are also good fungicides. If you are brave, you can experiment. Otherwise consult your classic or clothing specialist.

If you are fighting fungus, try it on an area out of the eye first. If color differences occur, the damage remains within limits.

But beware: Mold spores can be very unhealthy. Therefore always wear breathing and eye protection when brushing! Also ensure good ventilation. And ensure drying as quickly as possible after treatment with moisture.

Bleach is very suitable for killing fungi and spores. The active ingredient from bleach, chlorine, is also often used in remedies that are specially made to remove fungi. Ah: Pale is also destructive to the colors of leather. Do not use on moldy leather.

Ammonia is also a good fungal killer. A mixture of bleach and ammonia releases toxic gases. So don't mix.

If you have removed the mold from the leather and cleaned it, it can be upgraded again. Preferably use a synthetic fat for that, because animal and vegetable fat are again a breeding ground for new fungi.

Clean Air, Ozone, LamersBut do you know how easily the real pros get rid of fungi? They use ozone. This type of equipment is sold by companies that specialize in industrial cleaning, such as the Zelhemse Lamers Equipment.

Ozone is a special form of oxygen. A colorless gas, you cannot see it, but you can smell it. The nose is very sensitive to ozone; even in very low concentrations (e.g. 0,02 milligrams per m3 of air) you can smell it immediately. It is the smell of 'after a thunderstorm'.

An oxygen molecule consists of 2 atoms of oxygen. If we add a third, a molecule of ozone is created, also called "super oxygen". In chemistry, oxygen is O2, ozone is O3.

Ozone was only discovered in 1930 in Germany, yet it is an important chemical compound: it forms a layer in the atmosphere that captures the harmful UV rays, making it vital for people and the environment.

The most important property of ozone in applied form is its disinfecting effect, which is used not only in medicine, but also in industry, for example in the purification of water and the production of drinking water. The anti-infective effect of ozone is 600 - 3000 times stronger than that of chlorine! That not only kills the fungal spores, but also the fungi.

But the essence is that no fungus formation is actually possible on a dry surface, while moisture is the ideal basis for it. So watch out for symptom control and try to find the cause first..


Please help us keep this website and the articles on offer free. Subscribe yourself Auto Motor Klassiek and also receive the magazine 12 times a year in the mail. Or donate a desired amount on our payment page via this link. We are certainly grateful for it.


Dear Classic Lover

Enjoy daily free stories about vintage cars in your email and sign up for free. 


Give an answer

The email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Winter cabriolet

Convertible caps in the winter

Lower House leaves youngtimer alone and gives oldtimer lobby an extra dimension